INTERVIEW: PACK NAPS N’ LOVE ACTUALLY, ARCHIE POWELL & THE EXPORTS
I was not sure what to expect when I entered the bar Quenchers, where I entered to see four jovial men setting up for their show. While anticipating the interview (before which I was terribly nervous), I had to identify each member of Archie Powell and the Exports, by their mustaches (pictured above). So you can imagine my disappointment when I approached a few bearded men. But the disappointment quickly dissolved when I introduced myself to Archie, RJ, Adam and Ryan. So while acquainting myself with these men we all noshed on barbecue drenched popcorn and guzzled down some delicious wheat ale; and so began our discussion
Before the interview, I asked we all have a “safe” word, and that word was chosen by the band, collectively: Tippy Toe…
1. First question… Most important, is, why?
2. Favorite/least favorite cheese? (For the cheese-enthusiast)
Archie: Feta, and least favorite ‘bush league’ mild cheddar. (Archie Makes a blue cheese Butter Special)
3. Robots or Dinosaurs?
RJ: Robots; Because Robots can make their own dinosaurs
4. Strangest venue or gig you’ve ever played?
All: Court Tavern; A crowd of drunk Lawyers in New Brunswick, NJ. A bunch of drunk lawyers from down south kept asking me (Archie) if I would sing a song about Mississippi, and I did for ten dollars, or if they would buy our album. It ended up being a great dance party.
5. How did you begin your career as and who were your influences?
Archie: I was graduating school, every one was moving; I called up Adam and Ryan, who I had known and played with before the move to Chicago. We found RJ on craigslist. We call him Craigers. A lot of hazing was involved, a gauntlet actually, but eventually we put out our EP in June of ’09, Loose Change.
RJ: We actually met at this bar, at this very table almost one year ago. (Nostalgic Moment)
6. What are you guys listening to now?
All: Glittermouse and The Mutts
7. What are a few items essential to your “tour survival kit”?
RJ: Body Pillow
All: Beef Jerky and pack naps, watching Love Actually.
8. Any stories from your excursions on the road?
RJ: Archie peed in a Gatorade bottle, and I ALMOST drank it.
9. What is the worst advice you’ve ever been given?
Archie: Go to college
Ryan: Tippy toe
10. If you were to communicate using one word what would it be?
11. Can you dance? If not any hidden talents?
All: CAN WE DANCE? (Followed by each of the guys demonstrating their moves.)
12. Do you guys go green? If not do you go another color?
13. What can we expect from the band in the future:
All: More, much, much more. And a music video is in the works.
14. You have a slogan on your van- “laughter is God’s Sunshine”, so what is God’s Raincloud?
Tears because SNOW- Snow is God’s Dandruff … Tippy Toe!
Below is a track from their latest album Skip Work
Also for your added enjoyment…
An in-depth discussion on Mustaches
Post a comment